Do you have a child's table and chair set that your children love, but you find boring? As cute as it is, there is just no "oomph" to it!?
My Mind's Eye sponsored a team of "Design Divas" in a Design Off at a Home Show in Salt Lake City last weekend. The team consisted of two of our designers, Amber Packer and Tiffani Smith, and two of their friends, Tamara Jensen and Mandi Coombs. The Design Off competition is fun for the designers and benefits Primary Children's Medical Center. Everything is donated and the projects are auctioned off at the Festival of Trees to raise money for the hospital (be sure to look for this project if you attend the Festival of Trees).
The teams were given 2 hours to transform an Ikea Latt table like this one into anything they wanted!
The teams were given one requirement: give the table & chairs a juvenile theme but one that would also make people think about the environment.
What to make of it? Of course they would add My Mind's Eye paper, our Round and Round paper is PERFECT for this!
But, just adding paper would be expected. What could they add to this simple table & chairs?
A magnetic chalk board? yes.
A puppet theater? yes.
Chalk and crayon storage? yes.
Bags for storage? yes.
After a fun night of brainstorming, they had a plan. Each team member was in charge of bringing the items they would need.
The night of the Design off arrived and they were ready. In less than two hours these "Design Divas" transformed the Ikea table from a cute, but very plain table to this:
- Round & Round "Beep Beep" Traffic paper
- Round & Round "Let's Go" Road Trip paper
- Round & Round "Road Trip" Two-Wheeler paper
- Round & Round "Round & Round" Scenery paper
- Round & Round "Round & Round" Chipboard Elements
- Round & Round "Let's Go" Ribbons
- QuicKutz Vinyl cut to say: "I see trees of green, red roses too. I see them bloom for me and you. And I think to myself, what a wonderful world!" (lyrics by: Louis Armstrong)
- 16" wood circles cut off to form "tree" shapes
- Wood with 9 x 18" opening for puppet theater
- Water based stain: Brown Mahogany from General Finishes
- Mod Podge
- Metal sheet
- chalk board paint
- fabric for curtains
We hope you are having a great weekend!